23 February 2010

bibliophile - someone who loves (and usually collects) books

I've touched on the idea already, but here, I shall put my words to action: I am going to make lists of must-read books and have-to-see movies. I'm already off to a good start, seeing as I have finally finished Fruit, by Brian Francis, which was loaned to me by my father back around the Winter holidays. I am going to dub this "momentum", and try to seize it accordingly - giving certain leeway to midterms and class readings, of course.

Books:
_ The Last Enchantment, Mary Stewart (been slowly working through the series for two or so years, now)
_ Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card
_ 1984, George Orwell
_ The Vocation Lectures, Max Weber
_ The Critique of Pure Reason, Immanuel Kant
_ Ethics, Baruch Spinoza
_ Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
_ The Satanic Verses, Salman Rushdie
_ Life of Pi, Yann Martel
_ The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver
_ The Virgin Suicides, Jeffrey Eugenides
_ The Unbearable Lightness of Being – Milan Kundera
_ The Selfish Gene, Richard Dawkins
_ Dad, William Wharton
_ The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco
_ The Dharma Bums, Jack Kerouac
_ Dracula, Bram Stoker
_ Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
_ The Andromeda Strain, Micheal Crichton

Movies:
_ Casablanca
_ more of anything from the mind of Woody Allen
_ The English Patient (I liked the book; I've been meaning to reread it, too)
_ Citizen Kane (well, durr, eh?)
_ Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
_ The Godfather
_ Scarface (I've seen the first half?)
_ more classic Bond
_ To Kill a Mockingbird (again, read the book, curious on the movie)
_ Young Frankenstein (only seen bits, and even then, mostly when I was too young to get the jokes)
_ Trainspotting

It's pretty incomplete so far, thanks to my faulty memory and all. It'll be updated as I go, and soon, I'll be putting the word out on Facebook for suggestions. I have faith in my friends' good taste, so Facebook and conversations in real life, or on the phone, should provide substantially. Notably, a good few of the books listed are ones that are waiting patiently on my shelf already, or from classes I have passed by skimming, as time constraints so often necessitate.

Also: http://www.listology.com/list/1001-books-you-must-read-you-die I consulted this list, as it was the first result to come up upon searching "must read books". I have read.... about 17, including Unless (Carol Shields) and Alias Grace (Margaret Atwood), both of which are stories that would have been better told by other authors, but good tales nonetheless.

O, but this is.... quite the list. Momentum may not be enough on its own. Luckily, this is not so much a "weekly" goal, as an overall endeavour, meant to accompany me for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment