15 May 2010

braaivleis - a picnic at which meat is cooked over an open fire

"Braaivleis" also refers to the meat served at such a barbecue. What a neat way to talk about picnics. The words origin is Afrikaans. Pretty language, Afrikaans. One of my classmates back in middle school spoke it.

Anyway... hello world. It's me. Remember me? Yeah, it's been a while. First new thing I have to share is that I dyed my hair:

That's me being surprised at my awesome hair, and at the fact that I resorted to myspace angles for this photo. It's one of a series of myspace shots, actually. I documented the whole dying process. Most of it doesn't look all that good, but it's fun to have a record anyway.

I've also been watching Buffy and Angel nigh perpetually the last two weeks or so. I'm tempted to call this an accomplishment of newness. After all, I haven't watched Buffy before. I caught some of Angel, but not enough to really know what was going on. All I remembered were sewers and trench coats. It's a little pathetic just how much of the show I've watched in a relatively short time (and special thanks to Matt for enabling this fangirldom, by loaning me the series). And yet... I don't know. it's low pressure, helps me feel time is passing, and I'm enjoying getting involved with the characters. I've gotten all teary eyed at points, genuinely laughed out loud at others. It's nice to feel this provoked and engaged.

Additionally, fandom is kind of me second home, psychologically speaking. the obsession, along with a nice balance between distance and engagement, is... safe. Interesting. Other such positive adjectives.

I went to a bachelorette party this past Thursday, and I've never done that before. It was alright. It was neat to see Monique, my cousin, earn money to help for the wedding. She had a "such for a buck" t-shirt covered in lifesavers, and had tickets for half a pork which the family is orchestrating as a draw. One guy even didn't want a lifesaver, so he paid $5 in exchange for a hug. There was a nice big crowd, karaoke, and Monique left that night very drunk and happy. The only downside was... well, I was quiet the duration of the evening. The bar was really loud, the end of the table I was sitting at spoke mostly french - which I was able to follow pretty well, but it was still tiring to keep up - and the conversation topics weren't anything I could really comment on (manicures, cheerleading, Cuba....). Just got me on edge, as I couldn't really connect to any of it, and I even had family members checking in with me to make sure I was okay and enjoying myself. Life as a wallflower isn't so bad. Just... tiring. Especially as I hadn't slept well the night before, and had picked up a shift the following morning. Still... interesting night. Made me realize that, when and if I get to that marriage thing, I have to be really careful who I ask to be my maid of honour. They have power over planning the bachelorette party, and I would like to... avoid certain possibilities.

Karaoke at the bar was interesting, too. I did get up and sign with friends, so that was pretty keen. In theory, at least. The music was played so loudly that you couldn't hear how well the microphone was working, couldn't even hear yourself sing. It means that the rendition of "Girls Just Wanna have Fun" that we sang was really just yelling into a microphone, and the "Crash and Burn" track which Brittany and Rebecca had submitted at the beginning of the night as they were asking everyone their favourite songs from the book, was was only picked at the end of the night. So, really, karaoke was a disappointing experience. I may have to try again somewhere better suited to it.

Oh, and my aunt Cathie is getting married. That's not all that new, but I did only find out recently, so it is, in the least, exciting. Andy's a really great guy, and good for her. He's already family, so it's nice to make it official and legally recognized and all.

Huh, I didn't feel this accomplished before I set out to write this post. It's nice to notice that I have, in fact, done some good new things. And come the end of the summer, I might get a chance to go bridge diving. We'll see if that pans out. In the meanwhile, books and yoga and research and... I don't know what else. I haven't given it much thought.

But for today? Dishes, laundry, Buffy, and reading more Changeling. Not all that exciting, but certainly satisfying.

Good enough for now, nai?

No comments:

Post a Comment